Do Bed Bugs Jump
Wheater you live in the city or in a rural area, it is more than likely that you have had to encounter the menace of bedbugs at least once in your life. It is almost impossible to get rid of these pests once they are inside your home. This article deals with the movement of these parasitic creatures and answers a key question, do bed bugs jump?
Before we get to the main point, it is essential for you to understand what these creatures are and how they can affect human life.
What Are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs belong to the genus of Cimex. They are parasites that feed on human blood. These little creatures are nocturnal which means that they are active mostly at night. They bear piercing and sucking antenna at their mouth which they then use to pierce through layers of the human skin and draw blood.
Reactions Of The Human Skin Tissue
Skin tissue reacts differently to the sting of the bed bugs. Mild symptoms include:
- Irritation of the skin
- Small nodules that look like hives
- Fever in more severe cases
Types Of Bedbugs
There are mainly three types of bugs that you might notice once you have suffered from an infestation. They are as follows:
- Male bugs
- Female bugs
- Nymphs (baby bugs)
The males and females look pretty similar in appearance while the nymphs are slightly smaller. A typical female bug will lay about 2-3 eggs in a day, making the process of multiplication rather quick. It is hence only a matter of time for them to take over any place that they infest. Only a few bed bugs can give rise to a colony in a matter of days. They are one of the fastest multiplying populations in the insect world.
How Do They Get From One Place To Another?
So the question on your mind may be, how do they get about?
Bed bugs don’t have wings to fly from one place to another, neither are they strong-limbed to be able to jump long distances. So one might have a hard time trying to imagine how they commute.
Listed below are a few methods that bedbugs might use to move about:
- Via human contact: This is the primary way for a bed bug to travel. They are easily transported from one person to another when humans themselves travel.
- By hiding in seams and corners: Beg bugs have an uncanny ability to hide in the deep nooks and crannies of places. You might find them in the seams of purses, linings of clothes, cracks of old furniture, folds of your bedding. They are extremely difficult to spot and therefore are masters at the game of hiding.
- When old items are resold: Imagine buying an old sofa off flea market. The only thing that you didn’t know is that it is probably full of fleas and bugs itself. Second-hand furniture and clothes have proven to be one of the most popular means of bed bug colony expansion.
Do Bed Bugs Jump?
To answer the main question. Do bed bugs jump?
No. It is not possible for a bed bug to lead his life in leaps and bounds, literally. Bed bugs have short and light legs and a flat stomach. Both these features make bed bugs fast and excellent crawlers. They can crawl pretty fast but it is not possible for them to be jumping about like grasshoppers.
Is It Possible For Bed Bugs To Jump Over Short Distances?
Do bedbugs jump over short distances? Jumping is not the first method of transport that a bug would choose. However, there is evidence that bedbugs might choose to jump from a wall to a neighboring surface like a chair. If they do fall in the event, they will land on their bellies and might be up and about in action only a few minutes after.
Prevention From Bugs
Prevention from the creatures is one of the only ways you can avoid them. So be careful when you spend the night at a hotel. Check all your personal belongings for bugs and if you do by chance ever get them, call pest control immediately.
People also search for –