Does Vinegar Kill Bed Bugs
Vinegar is basically acetic acid that might be sold in its raw form or might have some flavorings added to it. The concentration of acid in vinegar is usually in the range of about 5% – 10% but you might find some stronger solutions in the market.
Does Vinegar Kill Bed Bugs?
To answer the question in one word is not possible. Vinegar is known to repel bed bugs and kill some of them if they are directly exposed to the solution. However, the effectiveness of vinegar in killing bed bugs and getting rid of an entire infestation is yet to be proven.
What Are The Effects of Vinegar on Bed Buds?
If vinegar is able to repel bed bugs, there has to be some reason why that happens. The most sensible answer is that the acetic acid that is present in vinegar tends to suffocate the bugs. Hence, as soon as vinegar is sprayed on an area, the bugs will run away. This does provide for some relief from them.
The acetic acid in vinegar also has an effect on the central nervous system of the bugs. Hence, the bugs that come in direct contact with vinegar are most likely due to the shock to their central nervous system.
What Kind Of Vinegar Is Most Suited For Killing Bugs?
A variety of vinegar exists in the market today. Some have added flavorings while others may have added oils etc.
White vinegar has been recognized as being most effective against bed bugs. This is owing to the fact that it is a natural and raw form of vinegar and also contains the highest concentration of acetic acid.
Procedure To Use Vinegar To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs
The following procedure can be followed if you want to try bed bug extermination using vinegar:
- Locate the bed bug colonies and mark them for future reference. Use a flashlight or any other source of illumination to give you a good view. Use a temporary marker or a good old piece of chalk to mark the areas with a maximum concentration of bed bugs.
- Deep clean your house and preferably use a steam vacuum. This will help you get rid of some bugs that are not hidden and also their eggs and shells.
- Prepare the solution. Mix equal parts of vinegar and water while making this solution. You can measure both liquids to be certain about the concentration of the mixture. Fill a spray bottle with the solution and get ready. You may want to use gloves to protect your hands.
- Get spraying. Spray your mattress and the areas surrounding your bed generously with this solution. Also, make sure that focus on the areas you had marked, previously.
- Let the solution dry out and then steam vacuum the entire area to be doubly sure that you have got rid of all the eggs as well.
Pros And Cons Of Using Vinegar To Kill Bed Bugs
|It is a natural way to get rid of bed bugs.||The pungent odor of vinegar may take a while to leave the house.|
|It is inexpensive.||It is not proven to be 100% effective to kill bed bugs.|
|It is easily available||If mixed with other ingredients like baking soda or bleach, vinegar may become toxic.|
|It is safe to use even with pets and children around||Vinegar cannot affect the bed bug eggs.|
|No special skills are required to carry out this process||The acidic properties of vinegar might damage furniture or other surfaces.|
It can hence be concluded that vinegar does do a good job of repelling bed bugs. However, they might not be able to completely clear out an infestation even if used repeatedly.
If the infestation is particularly large, vinegar might be of no use at all, even when used in higher concentrations.
Since vinegar has no effect on the eggs of a bed bug, it is possible that an infestation might reoccur even after using the acidic solution.
Also, Read –
What Are Beg Bug Bites?
Are Beg Bugs dangerous?
Are Beg Bugs contagious?
How are Beg Bugs spread?
Do Beg Bugs have wings?
Can Beg Bugs fly?
Do Beg Bugs jump?
How to kill Beg Bugs?
When Do Beg Bugs come out?
Can Beg Bugs live in wood?
Can Beg Bugs live on the carpet?
What Do Beg Bugs hate most of all?
Can Beg Bugs Bite through clothes?
How long can Beg Bugs live without a host?
Does vinegar kill Beg Bugs?
Does Beg Bug Bite Dogs?
Can you see Beg Bugs with the naked eye?
Does baking soda kill Beg Bugs?
What Do Beg Bugs eat?
What Do Beg Bugs look like to the human eye?
Can Beg Bugs get in your hair?
Does Lysol kill Beg Bugs?
Can Beg Bugs live in your hair?
How to find Beg Bugs during the day?
What do Baby Beg Bugs look like?
Does bleach kill Beg Bugs?
Where Do Beg Bugs hide?
Does alcohol kill Beg Bugs?