Let us find a reply to the question “do male mosquitoes bite” in the following section. It is a fact that male mosquitoes are not going to bite. Female mosquitoes require blood to develop their eggs. On the other hand, male mosquitoes don’t feature any stinger inside their proboscis to help them to extract blood.
This can be done in several ways: Repellents, Mosquito production nets, Clothing, Eradicate pooling, and Mosquito Control. If you can’t get the job done on your own, it will be a sensible idea to take the help of pest control companies to help in getting rid of mosquitoes.
Do Male Mosquitoes Bite?
Male mosquitoes have feathery antennae to help them sense the wingbeats of their potential mates. Females usually have simple antennae, and their mouthparts are sharp, which allows them to pierce the skin quickly to feed. These mouthparts are also called a proboscis. Male mosquitoes are smaller than their female counterparts and have a relatively shorter lifespan.
What Measures Can Be Taken To Prevent Mosquitoes?
Now that we know the difference between the sexes of mosquitoes, it is essential to understand how to control the spread of mosquitoes. Female mosquitoes are deadlier as they carry dangerous viruses and parasites and can transfer them to you or your pets when feeding. Below are some common steps you could use to avoid the spread of mosquitoes:
- Eradicate pooling – A common sight, especially during the monsoons, is that stagnant water should constantly be drained, filled, or covered to avoid breeding mosquitoes and their larvae. Ensure there are no open buckets, pots, or vessels in your backyard and surroundings that could facilitate water pooling, even in smaller forms.
- Mosquito protection nets – Many households use mosquito netting to protect their balconies and windows and drop them over the bed. This is an ideal solution to curb mosquitoes from entering your home during evening hours, but it doesn’t stop the cool air from ventilating your home.
- Repellents – Mosquito repellents come in various forms such as liquid, coils, incense, creams, etc., and have been proven quite effective in curbing mosquito bites. Make sure you alternate between brands now and then, as mosquitoes can quickly get immune to the scents of some repellents if used for a long time.
- Clothing – Wearing loose clothes always helps as mosquitoes cannot penetrate easily. If you are going out during the evenings, make sure to cover your face and neck with a scarf or a hoodie. Footwear such as boots or socks paired with sneakers can do the trick. You can also spray your outdoor clothes with Permethrin, an insecticide that, in combination with DEET, can keep mosquitoes away from you.
- Mosquito control – When precautions are not taken to stop the breeding of mosquitoes, they can turn into an infestation, leaving your family at risk of deadly mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue and yellow fever, and malaria. At this stage, you need to get professional help to exterminate mosquitoes and their larvae from your home and surroundings. Pest control measures are usually the final step to eradicating mosquitoes on a large scale.
Basic Home Treatments For A Mosquito Bite
Mosquito bites can often cause itchiness and irritation. They usually do not last long and fade within a day or so. You can use some essential treatments listed below to get relief from the itching:
- Clean with soap and water – Washing the bites cleanses the area of any bacteria that may linger on to cause skin infections. It also provides relief to the itching.
- Apply cold packs – You can apply an ice pack or a frozen vegetable pack to the bites. This soothes the skin and relieves itchiness.
- Calamine lotion – This over-the-counter antihistamine works wonders in providing quick relief to many skin conditions, including mosquito bites.
The sex of a mosquito does make a difference in the equation of mosquito bites. Male mosquitoes are not harmful as they do not even come in contact with humans or animals. You need to beware of the females and take all preventive measures to keep them at bay. After all, they are the ones filled with pride and your blood.
Also, Read –