How Are Bed Bugs Spread From Place To Place?
The one question that arises in everyone’s mind when they come across a bug in their house is, how are bed bugs spread from place to place? Since they are so tiny, it is obviously very unlikely that they can walk or jump around. How then do they manage to spread about so quickly? Read ahead if you wish to know the answer to this question.
How Are Bed Bugs Spread?
Bed bugs cannot fly, neither can they jump. The only way for them to move from one place to another is by hitchhiking.
Bed bugs are excellent at hiding into the seams and folds of clothes. There can be a number of them hiding in your clothing without you even realizing that they are there. Another factor that ensures the spread of bed bugs is the fact that female bugs can lay up to 5 eggs in a day. This gives them a high probability of multiplication and growing at a quick rate.
The eggs that the females lay are also coated by a sticky substance. This gives them a better chance at survival. These conditions ensure that only a few bed bugs can give rise to an entire population of their species within a few month’s time.
How Can Humans Contract The Bed Bug Menace?
For human beings to contract a bed bug might mean a great deal of nuisance in the coming days. There are a few classical ways that you might come in contact with bed bugs. They are listed below:
- If you have currently stayed at a hotel, motel, or rented accommodation.
- If you have recently traveled on a flight or bus or any area exposed to the high footfall of individuals, like a movie theatre, sports complex, etc.
- If someone carrying bugs has recently visited your house and shared them with you.
- If a surface in your house that is repeatedly used as a chair, somehow becomes infected, the infestation might spread to your entire house very fast.
Tips To Prevent Bed Bud Infestations
Though prevention from bed bugs is rather difficult because the insects are wickedly clever and creative at finding unique hiding spots, following these few tips can aid in keeping you protected:
- Always check your luggage, garments, and other belongings for bed bugs once you leave a hotel.
- Inspect the bedding of the hotel room or flight seat carefully before using either of them.
- If you keep your luggage in the bathroom you will have a lesser chance of carrying bed bugs home.
- Carry a bed bug repellant spray with you when you visit a hotel or cinema theater. This will help you test for bugs before you settle in.
What To Do If You Do End Up With A Bed Bug Problem?
- The first step to take would be to not panic because this is a problem that can be reversed easily.
- If you have picked up bed bugs from a hotel, you should know that you are entitled to compensation from them.
- Heat is known to effectively cleanse an area of bed bugs, so wash all your bed linen in boiling water. Subject your mattress and pillowcases to steam vacuuming as well.
- Inspect your house and mattress to see how severe the infection actually is.
- Try some natural methods to deal with the infestation like vinegar, rubbing alcohol, bleach, or baking soda.
- If you feel that the natural methods have not worked out, get an exterminator as soon a possible so that the infection is curtailed at an early stage.
- If you already have bugs in your house, try to stay locked in till the time you can effectively deal with the situation. Try not to be a bed bug spreader.
Is Having Bed Bugs A Dangerous Situation?
Not really. It has been proven without a doubt that bed bugs are not carriers of viruses or other diseases. However, having bed bugs and dealing with their bites on a daily basis is stressful. It will disturb your sleeping pattern and hamper your productivity during the day.
There is also a social stigma on being a bed bug spreader. It is therefore always recommended to deal with a bed bug infestation at the earliest.
Also, Read –
What Are Beg Bug Bites?
Are Beg Bugs dangerous?
Are Beg Bugs contagious?
How are Beg Bugs spread?
Do Beg Bugs have wings?
Can Beg Bugs fly?
Do Beg Bugs jump?
How to kill Beg Bugs?
When Do Beg Bugs come out?
Can Beg Bugs live in wood?
Can Beg Bugs live on the carpet?
What Do Beg Bugs hate most of all?
Can Beg Bugs Bite through clothes?
How long can Beg Bugs live without a host?
Does vinegar kill Beg Bugs?
Does Beg Bug Bite Dogs?
Can you see Beg Bugs with the naked eye?
Does baking soda kill Beg Bugs?
What Do Beg Bugs eat?
What Do Beg Bugs look like to the human eye?
Can Beg Bugs get in your hair?
Does Lysol kill Beg Bugs?
Can Beg Bugs live in your hair?
How to find Beg Bugs during the day?
What do Baby Beg Bugs look like?
Does bleach kill Beg Bugs?
Where Do Beg Bugs hide?
Does alcohol kill Beg Bugs?