Does Lysol Kill Bed Bugs Effectively?
If you are looking for some DIY solutions to the reddish-brown pests that have taken control of your living quarters, you are sure to have wondered, “Does Lysol kill bed bugs?”
The simple answer to this straightforward question is, again, yes. Lysol is pretty effective against bed bugs. Having said that, spraying Lysol over a large area of your home comes with its own set of problems and difficulties.
Read on to know about Lysol and its effects on bed bugs and humans.
What is Lysol?
Lysol is a common disinfectant that is sold in the market. It has both antibacterial and antiviral actions. Hence it is useful against most pests and germs. Lysol solution is usually mixed with water and mop homes, office complexes, dormitories, and even hospitals. Since this is one of the best disinfectants available in the market, it is only natural that it is quite powerful against bed bugs. Benzalkonium chloride is the main active ingredient in Lysol.
How Does Lysol Affect Bed Bugs?
We already know that Lysol contains some strong chemicals. Read on if you want to know how these chemicals affect bed bugs:
- Lysol fumes tend to suffocate bed bugs. This effect will increase a great deal in proportion to the strength of the solution.
- When Lysol comes in contact with the bed bugs, it immediately attacks the hard outer shell of the bed bugs, dissolving it and making the bed bug susceptible to possible dangers.
- The chemicals in Lysol attack the immune system of the bed bug, leaving it defenceless.
How To Use Lysol On Bed Bugs?
Here is a stepwise procedure that you can follow if you want to tackle the infestation of bed bugs in your house with Lysol:
- Begin with decluttering your house. Throw out all broken or unused items that might otherwise become abodes of bed bugs.
- Deep clean and vacuum all the nooks and crannies of your house.
- Wash all your bed linen in boiling water and submit them to the hottest possible drying cycle.
- Next, tackle your mattress. Douse it in bed bug repellant chemicals and sundry it, if possible.
- You will then need to seal your mattress so that the bed bugs that come out do not go back into your mattress.
- Seal all the other items of your house so that there is no chance of the bed bugs hiding there again.
- Now generously spray a concentrated Lysol solution all over the problem areas.
- Let the solution remain for a minimum of 2 hours and attack all the bed bugs that come out of their hiding places.
- Once the solution has dried out, you may wipe the floor and surfaces with a soft wet cloth.
Advantages Of Using Lysol To Kill Bed Bugs
- It is a cheap, effective, and easily available solution to the bed bug problem.
- It can help you to buy some time if the exterminators are not available immediately.
- You can increase or decrease the concentration of the solution following your needs.
Disadvantages Of Using Lysol To Kill Bed Bugs
- Lysol solution contains a chemical called ethanol. This is harmful to the human eye. Overexposure to Lysol fumes or direct exposure to the solution might irritate the eyes.
- The solution only works if it is in direct contact with the bed bugs. This might be a difficult task considering that bed bugs are notoriously fast and good at hiding.
- Several rounds of spraying might be required to exterminate the entire bed bug population finally.
- The female bed bugs usually hide in a different spot from the population until they have laid their eggs. Thus they might escape an extermination process and cause a re-infestation.
- You will have to exercise extreme precaution if you use Lysol to treat bed bugs when you have infants, toddlers, or pets at home.
- The strong smell of Lysol might irritate the nasal passages of some people as well. Consider moving to another place for a few hours once you douse your home in Lysol.
- Bed bugs get immune to different solutions very easily. Thus after a few uses, you might find that the bed bugs remain unaffected by the solution.
People also search for –
How do Chiggers look like?
Frequently Asked Questions About Chiggers
Can Chiggers Live in my Bed?
How to get rid of Chiggers?
Does vinegar kill Beg Bugs?
Does Beg Bug Bite Dogs?
Can you see Beg Bugs with the naked eye?
Does baking soda kill Beg Bugs?
What Do Beg Bugs eat?
What Do Beg Bugs look like to the human eye?
Can Beg Bugs get in your hair?
Does Lysol kill Beg Bugs?
Can Beg Bugs live in your hair?
How to find Beg Bugs during the day?
What do Baby Beg Bugs look like?
Does bleach kill Beg Bugs?
Where Do Beg Bugs hide?
Does alcohol kill Beg Bugs?