Do Bed Bugs Bite Dogs?
If you have pets at home and you do somehow end up getting bed bugs into your living quarters, you must have wondered, do bed bugs bite dogs? Sadly, the answer to this question is yes. Dogs, and for that matter any other pets can become easy targets for these parasitic creatures.
This is a valid concern that every pet owner has when he is encountered with the problem of bed bugs. Bed bugs are such a nuisance to humans, imagine the havoc they can wreck with poor pets who cannot even express the pain they are suffering.
What Do Bed Bug Bites Look Like On Dogs?
You must know how to look out for bed bugs on your pet if you want to be completely bug-free in the future. Listed below are some signs that will give the bugs away once you have them:
- Red bumps and swellings on the limbs of your dog
- Scratching, biting, licking certain areas on their limbs repeatedly
- Generalized irritability for no apparent reason
- Spots of dried blood in your dog’s bedding
- Dark black marks around or on your dog’s bedding
- Exoskeletons that have been shed by baby bugs
- Bed bug eggs
How Does One Get Bed Bugs At Home?
This is another question that has been asked frequently enough. Bed bugs usually move from one place to another by way of hitchhiking. They use humans, animals, and sometimes even furniture as a means of travel. So you may get them from someone who already has them at home and acts as a spreader.
Sometimes, they will be present in the second-hand furniture that you might have picked up from the market.
You might also find them if you spend a night in a hotel or travel using public transport.
Since bed bugs can travel through minor holes in the walls, it is entirely possible that they can travel from one room to another.
Can Bed Bugs Make My Dog Sick?
Thankfully, bed bugs don’t have much of an effect on animals or dogs. Most dogs might develop skin irritation or lesions at the most. Bed bugs, however, can cause other difficulties to your dog, like loss of sleep, pain, itchiness, etc.
How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs On Dogs?
It might be stressful for you to see your dog in agony because of bed bugs, but there are a few steps you can take to ensure the comfort of your pet.
- There are bed bug repellant soaps and disinfectants available in the market these days that are crafted especially for dogs, that you can use.
- Give your dog regular baths and dry him off well to ensure that the baby bugs are washed away as well.
- Give your dog’s bed linen a wash in boiling water and use a bed bug repellant detergent.
- Vacuum in and around your dog’s bed.
- Check the furniture and other things around your dog’s sleeping area, to ensure they are bug-free.
Will The Extermination Process Be Harmful To My Dog?
Most companies these days offer pet-friendly extermination services that you can opt for. They use chemicals and solutions that do not release harmful fumes, hence you know that your dog will remain unharmed.
If the infestation has increased to a great extent, it is entirely possible that the company might ask you to vacate your living area for a few days or transfer your dog to another place. This might take a maximum of 3-4 days and your living area might be fumigated.
How To Avoid Bed Bugs When You Have Dogs?
These are a few tricks you can use to keep bed bugs at bay
- Subject your dog to regular hot baths with disinfectant soaps.
- Use bed bug repellant sprays that are pet-friendly.
- Vacuum around your pet’s bedding regularly.
- Check your pet for bed bugs if you have stayed outside recently.
- Make sure there are no bed bugs in your own bedding as well that can be transferred to your dog.
- Exterminate any bed bugs as soon as you see the first one appear.
- Call for professional help at the earliest to avoid a massive invasion of the parasites.
People also search for –
Also, Read –
What Are Beg Bug Bites?
Are Beg Bugs dangerous?
Are Beg Bugs contagious?
How are Beg Bugs spread?
Do Beg Bugs have wings?
Can Beg Bugs fly?
Do Beg Bugs jump?
How to kill Beg Bugs?
When Do Beg Bugs come out?
Can Beg Bugs live in wood?
Can Beg Bugs live on the carpet?
What Do Beg Bugs hate most of all?
Can Beg Bugs Bite through clothes?
How long can Beg Bugs live without a host?
Does vinegar kill Beg Bugs?