Can Bed Bugs Get In Your Hair?
Bed bugs can be found in many parts of most homes. Have you wondered, can bed bugs get in your hair?
Once you find a bed bug in your house, it is only a matter of time before they have taken over almost the entire place.
There are some classical spots that bed bugs hide in, but there can also be a number of places that they can adapt themselves to hiding in. Your hair might also be one of them.
Can Bed Bugs Live In Your Hair?
Yes, bed bugs can adapt themselves to any number of situations and places, but your hair seems to be an unlikely spot for bed bugs to live in. There are a number of reasons for that, some of them are:
- Your scalp is not the best place for bugs to reside in. That is because there is no open skin for them to penetrate in order to feed.
- The long hair on your scalp obstructs their movement. Bed bugs are much more comfortable waking through thinner and shorter body hair.
- Bed bugs have short and stubby legs that might get entangled in dense hair.
- Bed bugs do not have appendages on their back, the kind that is visible in fleas, ticks, or lice. They will therefore find it difficult to hang onto the skin of the scalp.
It is therefore unlikely that bed bugs would reside in human hair. You might find them crawling through your hair, but they must be probably just crossing over while on the move.
How To Know If You Have Bed Bugs In Your Hair?
There are some tell-tale signs that will be able to give you an indication of an infestation that might have begun in your hair. Though bed – bugs won’t stay in your hair for a long time, it is best to get them out as soon as possible. Look out for the following symptoms:
- Redness and itchiness in the scalp, or formation of small bumps.
- Stinging or itching sensation when you apply shampoo or any other hair products.
- Red bumps or bed bug bite marks along your hairline.
- Shells or exoskeletons that might come out when your brush through your hair.
- Eggs of bed bugs around your hairline or in your hair.
- The bed bugs themselves, as they might fall out due to the constant head movement or brushing.
- A peculiar smell to your hair. Though bed bugs don’t have a strong smell, they do release pheromones when in danger. The dense growth of hair around them might make bed bugs feel threatened, which will make it easier for you to detect them in the hair.
What To Do Once You Find Bed Bugs In Your Hair?
It is obviously not a pleasant sight when you find bed bugs around, least of all in your hair. There are, however, a number of steps that you can take to control the infestation building in your hair:
- Get a haircut. This is the most sensible step as it will get rid of a number of them. Even the mere process of spritzing hair with water and piling them up in different directions is enough to scare them away.
- Raise the temperature. Though bed bugs are resistant to heat, there is only so much heat that they can stand. Sitting in a steam sauna for about 10 minutes should be enough to drive them away. You could also use your hairdryer or a heat cap for a while to create a hotter climate for the bugs.
- Rely on specialist products. There are special products manufactured in the market. These have a targeted action on bed bugs and other pests. Choose any shampoo with permethrin or pyrethrin as one of the ingredients. You can pick up sprays, shampoos, or lathering gels.
- Rubbing alcohol is another effective solution to try. Mix it in water and apply or mix it in your regular shampoo.
- Use a nit comb to comb through your hair. This will get rid of a number of the bugs and also their eggs.
- A pungent oil, like neem, turpentine, or gooseberry, will cut off the air supply to the bugs and also suffocate them.
Also, Read –
What Are Beg Bug Bites?
Are Beg Bugs dangerous?
Are Beg Bugs contagious?
How are Beg Bugs spread?
Do Beg Bugs have wings?
Can Beg Bugs fly?
Do Beg Bugs jump?
How to kill Beg Bugs?
When Do Beg Bugs come out?
Can Beg Bugs live in wood?
Can Beg Bugs live on the carpet?
What Do Beg Bugs hate most of all?
Can Beg Bugs Bite through clothes?
How long can Beg Bugs live without a host?
Does vinegar kill Beg Bugs?
Does Beg Bug Bite Dogs?
Can you see Beg Bugs with the naked eye?
Does baking soda kill Beg Bugs?
What Do Beg Bugs eat?
What Do Beg Bugs look like to the human eye?
Can Beg Bugs get in your hair?
Does Lysol kill Beg Bugs?
Can Beg Bugs live in your hair?
How to find Beg Bugs during the day?
What do Baby Beg Bugs look like?
Does bleach kill Beg Bugs?
Where Do Beg Bugs hide?
Does alcohol kill Beg Bugs?