When you have pets nearby, fleabites are not unusual. The first sign is typically your dog scratching themselves a lot. Due to their frequent fur coverage, dogs are known to have flea infestations on their ears, necks, abdomens, lower backs, and tail tips. Fleas are little parasitic insects that prey on people, animals, and occasionally even pets.
Is it at all unexpected that there are about 2000 different types of fleas in the world? Additionally, unlike rodents, cockroaches, and other domestic pests, they do not spread disease. However, they can also be dangerous when they invade homes or porches in large numbers. Clover mites do not attack people or animals, nevertheless. However, they will attack vegetation such as grass and leaves. Read on to find more.
Are Clover Mites Harmful?
Are clover mites harmful? This must have been one of the first questions in your mind when you discovered an infestation. A clover mite infestation can be stressful. Their tiny size of just under a millimetre makes them extremely difficult to spot.
What Are Clover Mites?
Clover mites are categorized into the arachnid family in the animal world. This makes them closely related to spiders and ticks. They usually feed on clover (hence the name clover mites) grass and other small plants.
Are Clover Mites Harmful?
The answer to this question depends on the context that it is asked. If you mean, are clover mites harmful to human beings? The answer is, a resounding NO. Since clover mites do not feed on human blood, as do bed bugs, it is obvious that their presence would not prove harmful to human beings.
What Are The Dangers Of Having Clover Mites?
Though clover mites are not dangerous to humans, there are a number of potential ill effects of harbouring clover mites in your home. Some of them are listed below:
- Red Stains – Clover mites leave bright red stains when they are crushed. This might also be considered one of the symptoms of a clover mite infestation. These stains can be notoriously difficult to get rid of.
- They multiply quickly – Clover mites can breed at an alarming rate. This means that they might reach up to thousands in numbers in only a short span of time. It is most likely that you will not know of the infestation until the numbers are exceedingly large.
- They are difficult to spot – Clover mites are not even a millimeter in size and therefore it becomes extremely difficult to spot them. You might only notice them when they are huddled together, so their numbers might already be skyrocketing. Their minuscule size also makes it easy for them to fit through tight spaces, so they can enter cracks and crevices easily.
- They can spell doom for your lawn – Since the main source of food for clover mites is the sweet sap of plants, you might notice your once gleaming lawn wilting. Clover mites will attack grass and other plants with soft stems. Hence, a clover mite infestation in your garden could mean trouble for your plants.
How To Prevent Clover Mite Infestations?
Preventing clover mite infestations is difficult, but not impossible. It is wise to practice precaution and not allow the number of these troublesome creatures to get out of hand. This can be done by:
- Protect the perimeter of your home – The area where your lawn meets your home is where you need to lay down your defences. Do not allow unrestricted growth of grass or weeds in this area. Also, be careful of the kinds of growth you have around the foundations of your home.
- Use an insecticidal spray regularly – Use a reputed insecticidal spray for your garden regularly. This should take care of any stray mites that might later lead to an infestation. It is essential that you use the spray in the recommended amount and do not exceed or decrease the concentrations.
- Double-sided tape – This wise hack could save you money as well. Buy some cheap double-sided tape and lay it down around your front door and on the window sills of all the windows facing your lawn. Any mites that try to enter your home from here will get stuck to the tape and eventually, die.
- Inspect your walls for cracks – Clover mites are so tiny that they can fit into ridiculously small spaces. Thoroughly inspect all your walls and fill in the gaps and crevices from time to time. You might take the help of a magnifying glass while doing so.
- Get professional help – Most people are reluctant to call in professionals because of the steep cost. However, if the infestation has progressed to uncontrollable levels, it might be wise to call in the exterminators before it’s too late. You might require one or more sessions of pest control, depending on the size of your infestation.
Do you have any red, teeny-tiny bugs in your house? Although you might be tempted to mistake them for insects like ants or flies, they actually belong to the arachnid family and have many traits with ticks, scorpions, and spiders.
Scorpions? Spiders? Ticks? Therefore, are these things harmful? No. Actually, no. When it comes to health, the tiny red bugs are safe for both people and animals. I hope this information on whether or not clover mites are hazardous was informative.
Also, Read –